What is Psychotherapy through the Body?
It bridges the gap between therapies which look at the mind and therapies which work with the body. It tries to make emotional as well as intellectual sense of a situation or response by combining traditional talk therapies with body therapies.
Would I benefit from Psychotherapy through the body?
Body Psychotherapy can be helpful in many situations. Nayna Kumari a London Psychotherapy expert provides Psychotherapy Councelling in London. Some of the areas Nayna works with include:
- Anxiety and depression
- Work problems
- Stage Fright and other performance anxieties
- The symptoms of dyslexia
- The victim
- The bully
- The bystander
- The scapegoat
- Feelings of being overwhelmed
- General life dissatisfaction
- Issues around saying no
- Low self-esteem or self-confidence
- Personal growth and development
- Feelings of disappointment
- Relationship difficulties
- Unhelpful patterns which keep recurring
- Unresolved childhood issues
- Feeling stuck
- Writer’s block
You may choose Body Psychotherapy because:
- You are feeling stuck in some area of your life. You may not know why you are stuck, you just know that the same old pattern keeps repeating itself and in this aspect of your life, you never seem to make it past go. Alternatively, you may know very well why you are stuck, but you may not know what to do about it.
- You are in the grip of an emotion that you cannot contain. It seems to cast a shadow over everything you do. You may be finding it difficult adjusting to or coping with something which has happened. You may not be able to contain your anger about something. You may be grieving. You may be anxious about something which happened in the past, about something which is happening now, or about something which you fear or know will happen in the future.
- You recognise something in yourself as being unhelpful – to yourself and possibly to those around you. For example, you may get inappropriately angry, jealous or envious. You may feel your response to a situation is out of place but you don’t understand why you are responding in this way, or if you do understand, you don’t know how to change it.
Why Psychotherapy through the body?
Body Psychotherapy may be beneficial because your body may be storing and hiding stories from the past. These stories may create unconscious, and often unhelpful, feelings and beliefs. Psychotherapy through the Body may help to uncover what you may be holding on to.
In particular your Conscious mind:
- May not always be able to express what is occurring within your body – this may be why sometimes, it doesn’t matter how much you talk about something, nor how many new outfits you buy, nor how many new gyms you join, you never feel as if you have made much progress.
- May not be aware of the issues affecting you.
- Might set up defences which may deceive both yourself and others.
- May not be able to express thoughts and feelings about issues which arose before you learned to talk.
Body Therapies and the Talking Cure
Nayna’s approach to psychotherapy uses both talking and body therapies in the healing process.
In essence, unresolved emotional responses are stored in our bodies which can manifest as physical symptoms.
By releasing these stored emotional memories from our body we release the emotional blockage so resolving the emotional problem.
Psychotherapy Councelling sessions are totally confidential and are held in a safe and holding environment.
support offered by Nayna in that first meeting was wonderfully affirming, enabling me to begin to piece myself back together. Our work together included a lot of laughter, challenge and timely reminders of how far I had come.”
Nayna Kumari has over 18 years experience and an MA degree in Integrative Psychotherapy and Healing Practices and a Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy. Nayna also has extensive expertise in reflexology and is a Member of the Association of Reflexologists.
Nayna’s London Psychotherapy Counselling practice is based in Central London, UK.